In December 1998, the Municipality of Chelsea adopted a By-law banning the use of pesticides for aesthetic purposes. The By-law also outlines certain exceptions for which an application permit is mandatory.
The Municipality has established an education program including free training workshops on the ecological maintenance of lawns and gardens, the transition from chemical to ecological maintenance, practical suggestions, etc. Reference books are also available for consultation at the Chelsea Municipal Library.
For additional information, contact us by e-mail at email@example.com or at 819 827-6227.
Click here to consult the Pesticide By-law. (french version only)
ALTERNATIVE SOLUTIONS TO PESTICIDES :
Weed killer : Hand pull the weeds or use a mixture of equal part vinegar and apple cider and spray hot mixture on the weeds.
Natural insecticide: Add 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of biodegradable soap or biodegradable insecticide soap to one litre of hot water and spray mixture on plants or leaves.
A HEALTHY LAWN
Here are a few helpful hints to achieve a beautiful, healthy lawn. It is preferable not to pickup grass clippings:
- you save on fertilizer (30 to 50%);
- you protect the ground against drought;
- you feed organisms found in the soil;
- you reduce the risk of disease;
- you save time and money
- Rake as soon as the ground is dry;
- Seed damaged areas;
- Mow for the first time at 5 cm;
- Use a nitrogen based fertilizer for the first application (organic fertilizer);
- Mow at 6-8 cm;
- Don't water until the end of June;
- Get rid of weeds by pulling them out;
- Aerate your lawn only when a pencil can not easily be pushed into the ground;
- Check the PH by observing the plants that grow on your lawn and control the acidity;
- Do not walk on the wet grass when the snow melts;
- Apply compost (approximately 50 kg per 100 square metres).
- Mow the lawn between 6 and 8 cm;
- Keep pulling out weeds;
- Water in the morning and thoroughly when there is little wind;
- Avoid frequent and light watering;
- Avoid cutting the grass during the very hot days of summer, or mow at 8.5 cm or at the maximum height of your lawn mower;
- Check your lawn for dry patches.
End of summer:
- Check the PH;
- Aerate your lawn;
- Apply compost;
- Apply a 100% natural fertilizer.
- Recycle dead leaves and use them in your composter;
- Mow the grass short at 5 cm;
- Watering is not required;
- Aerate your lawn as required every one or two years;
- If you aerate, spread a 0.5 to 1 cm layer of compost and water;
- Reseed damaged areas;
- Store your lawnmower.
Did you know?
- By cutting your grass higher, your lawn will be more resistant to weeds, parasites and dry weather, you will save on fertilizer and the grass won't grow as fast.
- By leaving your grass clippings on the ground, you will save approximately 30% in fertilizer, reduce your amount of garbage, reduce the odds of disease, your lawn becomes more resistant to dry weather and you nourish the organisms that are beneficial for your lawn.
- The advantages of a natural lawn are that you do not require pesticides, fertilizer when well rooted, your lawn is more resistant to dry weather, it is an excellent habitat for fauna, no infestations due to the many predators present, a source of edible and medicinal plants and an inspiration for artists.