COVID-19: Closing of municipal buildings and modification to the services offered | Details

Short-term accomodations

Holding for provincial legislation


Private homes have been offering short-term rental accommodations on the sly in the municipality through Airbnb, Vrbo, Wimbu, and others, leading in some cases to serious issues for those living nearby.

However, the possibility of offering residents who wish to have the opportunity to earn additional income by renting out their main residence for short periods of time, within a legal and regulatory framework that is clear, simple and fair for all, is currently being studied. Planning and Sustainable Development has been working on a set of regulatory amendments since 2019, seeking to balance competing interests through specific conditions and restrictions. The regulation will also include penalties for owners who continue to offer accommodations without authorization.

Public consultations will be held. If COVID-19 restrictions are still in effect, those public consultations will be held online using digital platforms.


Awaiting provincial legislation

Because new municipal by-laws have to comply with provincial legislation, Municipal Council has decided to put the amendment process on hold until the province passes its new bills. Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l’Habitation introduce its Bill 49 in November 2019 to amend the provincial laws governing short-term accommodations. It was supposed to be passed in May 2020, but the National Assembly shutdown has put its entry in force on hold for an unspecified future date.

A regulation to amend the Regulation respecting tourist accommodation establishments took effect in May 2020. It added a new category of tourist accommodations: primary residence establishments. Also, it’s now mandatory for any natural person (owner or tenant) to have a classification certificate from the CITQ Québec Tourism Industry Corporation, including a written notice and establishment number, before they can rent out their primary residence. Revenu Québec inspectors are in charge of enforcing the Act and Regulation respecting tourist accommodation establishments.

Chelsea residents can keep up to date on how the provincial government’s guidelines are progressing on the Government of Québec website.