Permits and certificates



 The team is currently receiving a large volume of permit requests. For this reason, response time are 10 business days. In addition, please allow up to 60 days for your permit to be processed, and this, according to the regulations in effect.

Please note that during the high season additional delays may occur. Don't wait until the last minute!


Online permit application

The Municipality is currently working on implementing a new citizen platform, which will include online permits. For this reason, only the watering permit is currently available online via the Voilà platform.

For all other requests, please refer to the procedure below.


May 16, 2024 — Please note that the online payment service for permits is currently experiencing a technical problem.


How to apply for a permit or certificate application

1- Select the appropriate permit form and complete the required fields.

2- Send the completed form, signed and accompanied by the required supporting documents, to the following e-mail address . The list of documents to be submitted can be found at the end of each permit application form. 

At any time during the process, the Planning and Sustainable Development Department may ask you to provide other information or documents deemed necessary to have a clear idea of the project submitted.   

Incomplete applications will be refused.


3- Your permit application will then be subjected to a pre-analysis.

If your application is incomplete, we will contact you to inform you of the next steps.
If your application is accepted, an invoice will be sent by e-mail. 

Significant additional time may be required if your application requires the advice of various municipal committees and the approval of the Municipal Council.

4- To pay the invoice, please come by Town Hall. Accepted methods of payment are:

  • Debit or credit card
  • Cash
  • Cheque

Make sure you have your invoice in hand. No payment will be accepted without an invoice. 

From the moment payment is received, the designated municipal employee has 60 days to issue or, if necessary, refuse a permit. If the invoice is unpaid, the permit will not be issued.

5- Once your application has been processed, it will be determined whether the permit can be issued. If so, it will be sent by e-mail. If not, you will be informed of the options available. 

During the summer season, additional delays may occur.



Permit list


The conditions and documents to be provided with your application are listed below, according to the type of permit you want. 


Work intended to increase the floor area or volume of a main building.



Application Form

A permit is required for any indoor or outdoor pool (permanent or temporary) designed for swimming, bathing and other aquatic entertainment having a depth of at least 60 cm.

Before purchasing your pool, contact the Municipality to validate the constraints applicable to your property.



Above Ground Pool Permit

Required documents :

  • Completed application form
  • Implementation plan to scale

Application Form



Inground Pool Permit

Required documents :

  • Completed application form
  • Implementation plan to scale
  • Plan containing fence location information


Application Form


Hot tub

Required documents :

Application Form














Croquis 3 - distance clôture.png



Croquis 4 - Clôture piscine - 5 cm (002).png




Localisation clôture piscine creusée - sans titre.png

Also referred to as a bi-generational, it consists of a dwelling unit located within a detached single-family dwelling, developed in accordance with the requirements of this by-law. An additional dwelling unit is not a separate dwelling unit from the single-family dwelling. If a septic system is present and the number of bedrooms increases, you will be required to apply for a septic system alteration permit.



Application Form

The objective of By-law No. 12-RM-01 is to regulate the installation and operation of alarm systems.

A permit is required to install and maintain an alarm system.  The permit is free.

As of January 2013, it is the MRC’s police that is in charge of alarm permits.

For any questions or additional information, contact the Police of the MRC des Collines-de-l'Outaouais or fill out the form.

To get a burning permit, contact the Fire Department at 819-827-6200 or,  Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. 

There is no fee for these permits. However, burning regulations are in place.


Safety tips

  • Supervise the fire at all times. 
  • Maintain a distance of 50 feet (15 m) from all buildings.
  • Maintain a distance of 15 feet (4.5 m) from your property line. 
  • Inform your neighbours. 
  • Make sure the fire doesn't pose a nuisance to your neighbours. In the event of a complaint, the Chelsea Fire Department will request that the fire be extinguished. 
  • Do not burn any construction materials, household waste, tires, or chemicals. 
  • Do not burn in strong winds. 
  • Have a hose ready to use near the fire. 
  • Soak the ashes with water after the fire is out. 
  • Call 911 in case of loss of control 

Take note that a water meter must be installed at the taxpayer's expense, and it must be obtained at Town Hall. The fee for a meter varies according to the size required.



Application Form

This application must include the following documents: 

  • Single Family Residential Construction Application Form
  • Septic System Permit Application Form
  • Well Permit Application Form (if required)
  • Site planning mandate by a land surveyor (if required)
  • Site plan by a land surveyor (if required)
  • Construction plans to scale signed and sealed by an architectural technologist
  • Septic installation report


Application Form


The construction, installation, or expansion of an accessory building, assembled on-site or prefabricated, such as:

  • Carport
  • Detached garage
  • Attached garage
  • Gazebo/pergola
  • Shed
  • Veranda, etc.


Application form

To apply for a permit to demolish a main building, you must first apply to the Demolition Request Committee, before submitting a permit application.

To submit a request to the committee, click here and follow the steps.

For the demolition permit application form, click here.




For additional information on the docks, please contact the Environment Department by e-mail at or by telephone at 819 827-1124 ext. 240.


Application Form

A fence can be built on a common property line. You are invited to consult the Quebec government's Web link on fences and common walls.


Application form


Documents required for permit and certificate:

  • Completed application form
  • Two (2) copies of a proposed implementation plan indicating the following:
    • The location of the hen house, pen, backyard compost bin, and any other proposed structures
    • The location of existing buildings, structures,  wells, and septic systems
    • The location of watercourses, natural high water marks and wetlands, and flood risk areas (if applicable)
    • Driveway and parking area
    • High voltage power transmission line (if applicable)
    • Setbacks
    • The distance between the elements listed above
  • Two (2) copies of the construction plans (elevations with dimensions and height, cross-sections, details, and specifications) giving a clear idea of the project and its use. These plans must be drawn to a scale acceptable to the administering authority.
  • An estimate of the probable cost of the work.
  • For a construction permit in a landslide area as identified by Zoning By-law Number 636-05, an engineer's report containing the information required under section 4.11 of said By-law 636-05 (if applicable).
  • The estimated date of the start and end of the work.
  • The number of hens that will be kept.
  • Any other information or document deemed necessary by the administering authority in order to have a clear idea of the submitted project.



Application form


An outdoor surface, either on the ground or raised, usually consists of a wood floor, a poured-in-place concrete slab, or concrete pavers or slabs. May be surrounded by a railing and may be protected by a roof. May communicate with an interior room through a door or patio door and may have an exterior staircase.


Application Form


Any renovation, repair, alteration, or modification work on a primary building of more than $5,000 must be subject to a renovation permit. If your project includes the structural addition, you must obtain an addition of a primary building permit.


Application Form


You must apply for a permit before starting any septic installation work on the Municipality of Chelsea’s territory.  This obligation applies to the construction of a complete septic system, as well as partial work such as the installation of a holding tank, the replacement of a septic tank or corrections to an existing septic bed.  

Your request must be sent to and be accompanied by:

If the septic system has a flow rate of 3,240 litres or more per day, a request for s certificate of authorization from the Ministry of the Environment and the Fight Against Climate Change is required.

For details on the fees and standards to be respected, we invite you to consult our page on septic systems.

For more information on short-term rental, please visit the dedicated web page.

It is permitted to install a temporary winter shelter between the dates of October 15 and April 15 of the following year.

No permit is required.

In all the territory of the Municipality of Chelsea, it is prohibited to cut trees with a trunk over ten (10) centimetres in diameter measured at thirty (30) centimetres from the ground level.

It is authorized to cut down a tree without a permit in the following circumstances:

  • Trees are dead
  • Trees are suffering from a disease
  • Trees threaten the safety of people
  • Trees are detrimental to the growth and well-being of a neighbouring tree
  • Trees cause damage to public or private property,
  • Trees cause damage to foundations, property, underground pipes or sidewalks or paving by their roots
  • Trees’ roots cause damage to foundations or the property, underground pipes or sidewalks or pavements.

We strongly recommend that you take a photo before cutting, or contact the Environment Department by e-mail at or by phone at 819 827-1124 ext. 240.

Cutting down healthy trees without obtaining a certificate of authorization for tree cutting is prohibited.


Site preparation includes:

  • Construction or modification of a driveway
  • Installation of a culvert
  • Backfill/clearance

A Site Preparation Permit does not permit the cutting of trees or grading of land for the construction of a principal building without first obtaining a Residential Building Permit.


Application Form



To build a new underground water withdrawal facility, replace or modify an existing structure, it is mandatory to apply for a permit. This obligation applies to new residential construction and to the replacement of any type of catchment (tube or surface well) to serve an existing building. Facilities for geothermal purposes are also subject to a permit application.



Application Form

For all requests for a certificate of authorization for work in riparian zones, please contact the Environment Department by e-mail at or by telephone at 819 827-1124, ext. 240.

No work is permitted in the riparian protection zone or in a wetland without prior approval from the Municipality.

Disclaimer of liability

The information on this page does not replace the official regulations of the Municipality of Chelsea. In the event of any discrepancy between the official texts and the information published on the website, the official texts shall always take precedence.

This page was last updated on April 12, 2024



Planning and Sustainable Development Department

Privacy policy

By agreeing to share certain navigation information with us, you are helping us to improve and offer you an optimal browsing experience. Privacy policy

Activate the categories you want to share. Privacy policy

  • Google Analytics
  • None for the moment
  • Google Analytics